Monday, March 26, 2012

Homemade Wire Basket


I have been having a slight obsession with wire baskets, anyone else?  I started by searching Ebay and yikes!  They are expensive!  Well last week on my lunch break at work; did I mention I work at a hardware store/farm store.  Anyhoo, on my lunch break I strolled the floor searching for inspiration....all the sudden it dawned on me!  I can so make one of these babies with these goodies below:
So as I say babies, I didn't realize I had a baby in the picture!  (You don't need one of those to complete this project, lol)  On a side note: Did you know my baby is going to be 1 this week!  I can hardly believe it!

So you will need:
A piece of scrap wood
Wire mesh hardware cloth
Wire cutters
Rabbit Cage Pliers
Rabbit Cage Clips

I started by rolling out the wire and holding the piece of wood up to the wire so I knew where to cut.
I just counted squares, just seemed easier than pulling out the tape measure!  Once all four sides were cut I started joining them using the rabbit cage pliers and clips.
It took me awhile to get the hang of using this little tool but then it was super easy!  Once all the sides were completed I slipped the board into one end.
This was a little tough on the one end, so I grabbed a butter knife and lifted on the corner-worked like a charm!  The top edge still had some sharp spots, as I make more I will probably just file the edge.  For this project I took a strip of burlap and hot glued it to the top rim. At first I started crocheting some jute on the top; I was too impatient!  It was taking way too long!
I stained the board, and added some staples on the long sides.
I used a scrap piece of jute to make some handles on each side.  See the cute yarn egg my daughter and I made this weekend?  Those were a cute fun little project!
I made this one for the porch.  I didn't use a piece of wood.  If you are going to make them this way you will need a way to weight it.
Thanks for checking out my homemade wire basket!  Hope you will go and create some of your own!
Sharing on fun sites!

5 comments:

  1. You're SO creative! I like them! Think I need a couple. We should plan a Pinterest Mom's Night Out.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So darn creative, love that you came up with this idea. So many times I find baskets that are either too big or too small. This idea is great because you can make them the size you need. I so need to make a few. thanks for showing us how. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute! I found you while googling wire basket images. I think Ill pin this for future referrence :)! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fun! (I didn't even know it would show up on there, lol!)

      Delete
  4. and your baby is already reaching for the scissors without you noticing.

    that basket is quite ugly, but it has potential in the rustic sense of things. let's see what i can come up with.

    ReplyDelete