Wednesday, January 18, 2012

DIY Chalk Paint Attempt Console


So I have really wanted to try chalk paint on something!  If it just weren't so dang expensive.  I was pretty excited when I found this diy chalk paint..I knew I had to try it.
Luckily for me I had everything I needed on hand so the paint cost me $0 (that is super sweet in my book).  Now to find what to paint.  I didn't want to put it on anything that I loved, cuz what if I hated it?  Which leads me to this little console.
My sis and I were out strolling some garage sales last summer.  We went to a neighborhood sale and one of the houses just had a bunch of furniture in the driveway.  I went and knocked and questioned how much some of the pieces were.  The lady peaking behind the door (isn't is strange when people do that) said everything is free!  I was shocked!  So we started loading up!  The husband came out and helped us, saying they have had this extra stuff in their basement for awhile and just wanted to get rid of it.  Yeah for us!  I took home this console and had the hubs put it on the back porch (this isn't the lightest piece).  Then there it sat.  I hate to say it but I haven't been very kind to this piece.  It got wet sitting back there and the top started to swell, lets just say it wasn't very cute.  You know where this is going...this is what I decided to test my diy chalk paint.  Into the garage it went and I just slapped the stuff on.  I had to do two coats to get it covered really well.  Hmm, then I was thinking it was going to the Goodwill.  I hated it.
Well it then sat in the garage waiting to go to the Goodwill.  I was in the garage working on the side table for my master bedroom, and decided I was going to hit this console with the sander..just for fun ya know!  Sanding this chalk paint was so fun!  I had done a bunch of research and heard that chalk paint distresses beautifully..and boy does it!  I loved how it turned out!  I sealed the whole thing with paste wax, and here she is!
So whatcha think?  More importantly, what should I do with this? lol!  Is it too shabby?

Have a great day
Adriane

Sharing on:
Its Overflowing
Home Stories From A-Z
The Thrifty Home Penny Pinch Party
Savvy Southern Style Wow Us Wednesday
From My Front Porch To Yours
My Uncommon Slice Of Suburbia Tuesday Treasures
French Country Cottage Feature Friday
Shabby Nest Frugal Friday
My Repurposed Life
Miss Mustard Seed Furniture Party

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! I love it! I'm thrilled to get the chalk paint recipe too. I love your blog!
    I would love you to visit me :)
    Sherry's Bees Nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry! I wasn't sure about this project for awhile..glad you like it! Going to go check out you blog now!

      Have a great day!
      Adriane

      Delete
  2. Love it Sherry! Too funny we posted about the same thing this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great--nothing like its original form. Isn't chalk paint great?! I have only made my own --don't have a desire to spend the big bucks on the real thing when mine turns out so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I want to try the variety with Plaster Paris as well, to compare the two. Which way do you mix it?

      Delete
  4. Might make a great piece at the foot of a bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you swung by my blog so I could find you! Love this piece and I love your blog. Seems like we have lots in common. I am following you now!!! SO excited to see what you come up with next!!! Dont be a stranger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, glad you stopped by! Well I am sanding some dressers in the garage tonight...the dust is absolutely everywhere! Hopefully they will turn out pretty to make it worth it!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic- Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete